Have you ever asked yourself: “Why is all this [bad] stuff happening to me?!?!”
At one point in time, we’ve likely all asked ourselves this question.
The reality is that most life situations (good or bad) result from our own actions or decisions.
Let’s share just one example from a young man’s life with whom I am quite familiar…
- Pulled over for speeding
- Must pay a fine. Ouch!
- Receives the latest bill from the auto insurance company. Insurance rate increases. Ouch again!
- Wraps his Mustang around a telephone pole, totaling it. Thankfully, no-one was hurt.
- Buys a brand new Firebird
- Insurance rate jumps again, SIGNIFICANTLY!
- Pulled over for speeding (actually, doubling the speed limit, a criminal offense)
- Must take time off from work to appear in court (for the criminal offense)
- Must pay a hefty fine. OUCH!
- Receives a letter from the auto insurance company stating that coverage has ceased due to being such a high risk.
- Must obtain state sponsored auto insurance for high risk drivers, in a high risk vehicle. VERY EXPENSIVE.
- Realizes the Firebird can’t be sold as more is owed than it is worth and doesn’t have the cash to make up the difference
- Required to work overtime EVERY week just to continue operating the car
The question is then exclaimed: Why are all these people against me?!?!
Are you kidding me? The entire chain of unfortunate events resulted solely from this persons bad decisions and actions.
Well, for those who thought I was talking about one of my boys. Wrong. That person was me, in my early 20’s. And, it all occurred inside a couple of years.
As a result of the above (and other) bad decisions I had significant motivation to do whatever it took to dig myself out of the hole I had dug for myself. It was at this time that I “jumped the tracks” in my life and began my “boot camp experience”, which was covered in a prior post.
Reminds me of a quote:
Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment. ~ Oprah Winfrey
Said another way: To make a better tomorrow (future) make better decisions and take better actions today! Coming from personal experience I’ve found this to be pretty simple and very true!
So, if you are in a place where dark clouds are hovering over your head, consider what actions or decisions you took (or didn’t take) that may be contributing factors. Then, make a commitment (right now) that going forward only good actions will be taken and good decisions will be made.
Doing so will clear the skies ahead. It may take weeks, months or even years for the clouds to completely clear away. But, make no mistake: they will.
Only YOU can make it a Happy New Year!